Thursday, March 17, 2011

All Play And No Work

There are those in this world who truly love their jobs.  I cannot relate.

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
- Peter, Office Space

Yeeeaaah...now that one I get.  I like to play!  (Now, to clarify, as long as I have to work, I will do so "as working for the Lord;" but, let's face it, most of us work because we have to, not because we want to.)

Did you know that work, as we know it, is a curse?

To Adam [God] said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you, 'You must not eat from it,'
  "Cursed is the ground because of you; 
   through painful toil you will eat food from it 
   all the days of your life. 
It will produce thorns and thistles for you, 
   and you will eat the plants of the field. 
By the sweat of your brow 
   you will eat your food 
until you return to the ground...."
(Genesis 3:17-19)


When I get to heaven, however, I will finally have rest from all this toilsome labor!


There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.
(Hebrews 4:9-10)

No work.  No toil.  No meetings.  No administrative nonsense.  No customers.  No bosses.  No budgets.  No deadlines.  No goals.  No hoops.  No "dog and pony."  (Did I already say, "no customers"?)

Just rest and play and joy!

I think about my favorite vacation, or relaxing on a lazy weekend, and then I think about how heaven will be unimaginably better...forever...and a little more of this doesn't seem so bad.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, we only need to tolerate this garbage for a few more decades...

    ReplyDelete