Friday, May 13, 2011

I Am A Hot Mess!

I would guess that most, if not all, of us have heard the saying, "God doesn't make mistakes," as in, "God made you, and God doesn't make mistakes."

Does he, however, make messes?  It does kind of make sense that he does.  After all, children make messes; and, he did say that we need to become like them if we want to get to heaven.  Maybe he even likes messes.  That would be really good for me; cuz friend, lemme tell ya, I am one hot MESS!

First, start with all the lists of sins or shortcomings in the Bible.  Then, add to that what can only really be described as a kind of deep, inner darkness.  Et voila!  That's me.  :)  In fact, on those oh-so-rare occasions when I feel like I'm actually doing all right, I catch a glimpse of my pride about it, and BAM!, I'm right back to being a hot mess.

Ah but here's the good news:

So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.
 - 1 Corinthians 15:42-44

"In applying these analogies, the apostle says that in the case of the resurrection of the dead, God will take a perishable, dishonorable, weak (and sinful) body -- 'a natural body' characterized by sin -- and in the resurrection make it an imperishable, glorious, powerful body, fit to live eternally with God."
 - NIV Study Bible

Now, I don't know or care how much, if any, of eternity is physical.  All I need to know is that God will make the heavenly me perfect -- Goodbye hot mess!

2 comments:

  1. If He didn't like messes, I would be toast. Thank God for His mercy and grace. Great job Sean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's worse to be a lukewarm mess. At least you've chosen. I am not saying you've done well with that, but it's decisive! ;) V

    ReplyDelete